KINTYRE - SCOTLAND’S ONLY “MAINLAND ISLAND”
Skip to content

Saddell Village, Kintyre

Saddell is a very small village full of historic interest on the east Kintyre road towards Carradale.

The great warrior King Somerled built Saddell Abbey over 1,000 years ago. From Somerled descended the Clan MacDonald and the Lords of the Isles who ruled the West Coast until 1493.

A form of Celtic Stone Carving flourished at Saddell and recent fundraising has helped to preserve the superb carved stones.

Saddell Castle was built in 1508 and some of the stones from the Abbey were taken to build the outbuildings. There is a pleasant walk down to Saddell Bay from the Castle.

Motorised scooters, bikes and golf clubs may be hired etc.