KINTYRE - SCOTLAND’S ONLY “MAINLAND ISLAND”
Skip to content

Clachan Village, Kintyre

The village of Clachan was the ancient seat of the Church of North Kintyre. The old Clachan Bridge was built in 1763 and the church in the old cemetery was built in the 1700s' on top of the site of an earlier chapel. There are carved grave slabs of the McAllister clan chiefs that are 300 years old.

On the hill overlooking the village is Dunskeig, an Iron Age site with three forts with spectacular views across the Sound of Gigha, Islay and Jura. The fort at the south of the dun is 'vitrified' (burnt). The only other vitrified fort in Kintyre is at Carradale Point.

Clachan Village Copyright© Alison Clements Clachan Village Copyright© Alison Clements A38 towards Clachan Copyright© Alison Clements Dunskeig Hill, Clachan Copyright© Alison Clements

A dramatic group of standing stones with a burial cist is to be found south of Clachan near Ballochroy Farm.

Balinakill Country House - Victorian country house with period features set in 6 acres of peaceful grounds on the west side of the Kintyre.