Are St Columba's Footprints genuine?
There are two footprints carved in the rock, one of which was carved in 1856 by a local stonemason; the second is much older and may have been used as part of the inauguration ceremonies for new kings. There is a similar one on Dunadd Hill north of Lochgilphead.
What is the history of the two large ruined buildings in Southend?
The older ruin is of Keil School for the 'sons of Argyll' founded by a wealthy business man, Sir William Mackinnon. It was destroyed by fire and the school moved to Dumbarton. The modern concrete ruin was built as a hotel immediately before World War Two. It became a naval hospital during the war and reverted to a hotel thereafter. It subsequently fell on hard times and closed.