KINTYRE - SCOTLAND’S ONLY “MAINLAND ISLAND”
Skip to content
Campbeltown Loch Copyright? John McFadyen Campbeltown Copyright? S Robertson Tarbert Harbour Copyright? John McFadyen Carskey Southend Copyright? S Robertson Westport Copyright? Bob Goodman Bellochantuy Copyright? John McFadyen Lusa Loch Copyright? G Cowan

Lighthouse, Kintyre

A lighthouse has stood here since 1788 and the present automatic light (buildings remodelled by Robert Stevenson) is reached by a scenic single track road. Nearby is the cairn erected to those who lost their lives in the “Chinook” helicopter disaster.

Lighthouse

Mull Of Kintyre Lighthouse Copyright? Gary Henderson Mull Of Kintyre Lighthouse Copyright? Gary Henderson Fog Horn at Mull of Kintyre Copyright? Philip Fox Denham Awaiting Image Copyright? kintrye.org Awaiting Image Copyright? kintrye.org Awaiting Image Copyright? kintrye.org

It is possible to walk from here to Machrihanish, passing the ruined township of Balmavicar and the Largiebaan Reserve (also accessible from B842 past Homeston Farm). The walk may provide you with sights of birds of prey including golden eagle as well as feral goats and interesting flora.

The views across to Rathlin Island and Northern Ireland are at the very least awe inspiring.