KINTYRE - SCOTLAND’S ONLY “MAINLAND ISLAND”
Skip to content
Campbeltown Loch Copyright? John McFadyen Campbeltown Copyright? S Robertson Tarbert Harbour Copyright? John McFadyen Carskey Southend Copyright? S Robertson Westport Copyright? Bob Goodman Bellochantuy Copyright? John McFadyen Lusa Loch Copyright? G Cowan

Clachan Village, Kintyre

Clachan

The village of Clachan was the ancient seat of the Church of North Kintyre. The old Clachan Bridge was built in 1763 and the church in the old cemetery was built in the 1700s' on top of the site of an earlier chapel. There are carved grave slabs of the McAllister clan chiefs that are 300 years old.

On the hill overlooking the village is Dunskeig, an Iron Age site with three forts with spectacular views across the Sound of Gigha, Islay and Jura. The fort at the south of the dun is 'vitrified' (burnt). The only other vitrified fort in Kintyre is at Carradale Point.

A dramatic group of standing stones with a burial cist is to be found south of Clachan near Ballochroy Farm.